Get the free Sanctum Secorum #24 Companion HERE!
Holger Carlsen is an American-trained Danish engineer who joins the Danish Resistance to the Nazis. At the shore near Elsinore he is among the group of resistance fighters trying to cover the escape to Sweden of an important scientist (evidently, the nuclear physicist Niels Bohr). With a German force closing in, Carlsen is shot – and suddenly finds himself carried to a parallel universe, a world where Northern European legend concerning Charlemagne (“The Matter of France”) is real. This world is divided between the forces of Chaos inhabiting “Middle World” (which includes Faerie) and forces of Law based in the human world, which is in turn divided between the Holy Roman Empire and the Saracens. He finds the equipment and horse of a medieval knight waiting for him. The shield is emblazoned with three hearts and three lions.
Welcome to the Sanctum Secorum podcast. Tonight we discuss Poul Anderson’s seminal work Three Hearts and Three Lions as well as Terry Olson’s new adventure Escape from the Shrouded Fen. We like one of these far more than the other…can you guess which?
As always, we have new material to bring to the table based on this story. Below is a list, by category and author, of what has been added to the Dark Acquisitions page by the Keepers of Mysteries, based on this show. Further contributions from friends of the library will also be found there as they arrive.
Wood Dwarf – Marc Bruner
Elf Hill – Marc Bruner
Cortana – Bob Brinkman
The Dagger of Burning – Bob Brinkman
May-Skein – Marc Bruner
Elfin Steed – Bob Brinkman
Hell Horse – Bob Brinkman
Hollow Knight – Bob Brinkman
Faerie Mist – Marc Bruner
Beyond the Black Gate by Harley Stroh
Beyond the Silver Scream by Forrest Aguirre
Bride of the Black Manse by Harley Stroh
Creeping Beauties of the Woods by Daniel J. Bishop
Doom of the Savage Kings by Harley Stroh
Elzemon and the Blood Drinking Box by Terry Olson
Escape from the Shrouded Fen by Terry Olson
Intrigue at the Court of Chaos by Michael Curtis
Peril on the Purple Planet by Harley Stroh
The Trolls of Mistwood by David W. Fisher
I Fought the Law (and the Law Won) by Steve Bean
The Bastard King of England (Song) by Father, Son, and Friends
De to søstre (Song) by Huldrelokkk
The Highland Tinker (Song) by Davie Stewart
Les Trois Orfévres (Song) by Les Frères Jacques
Lost at Sea (Album) by Marooned
Poste (Song) by Virelai
Rolandskvadet (Song) by Gny
To Valhalla by Antti Martikainen
Road Crew Appearances
* M Nicksic is running DCC funnels from 2-6pm Every Saturday at Tacoma Games in Tacoma. WA
* Judge Colin will be at the Phoenix Comicon running events May 26-27th. Drop by to play Sailors on the Starless Sea on friday from 3-7, and on Saturday Hole in the Sky from 3-7, or Escape from the Purple Planet from 8-midnight.
* We aren’t sure what friend of the show Troy Tucker is up to. He may be hiding….Still, look for him at the Magician’s Forge in North Port, Florida. Check with the store (or find Troy Tucker on G+ or Facebook) for more information.
* Jeff Goad will be running Frozen in Time at the Brooklyn Strategist on May 7th starting at 1pm. Jeff runs DCC there every other Saturday!
* Jeff Bernstein continues running DCC RPG at Games Plus in Mount Prospect, IL. Check with the store for more details.
* RPG Chicago is hosting a number of open play DCC games. Check their Meetup group for more details.
* Joan Troyer just ran a new DCC group at Secret Door Games in Elkhart, IN. Hopefully it will be a regular thing.